Friday, March 19, 2010

RIP Alex Chilton


Alex Chilton, the man behind pop bands The Box Tops and Big Star died wednesday, March 17, 2010 from an apparent heart attack in New Orleans. He was 59. He was a cult legend and will definitely be remembered.

So bizarre I found this out today. I woke up and immediately wanted to listen The Box Tops because I realized I hadn't in a while, typed his name up in google images (I always did think he was kind of cute) and bam, he's dead. Same thing happened with Elliott Smith, the day I discovered his music, a couple hours later I turned on television and MTV news was telling me he just killed himself.

Little known fact? Alex Chilton was actually a fairly big part of the punk scene. He produced a bunch of stuff by The Cramps when he met them in the 70's, and he's had quite a few songs written about him, like "Alex Chilton" by the Replacements.

Anyway, here's The Box Top's first album from '67 The Letter/Neon Rainbow. Can't say I know much about Big Star. Man's got a great voice.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ygujnmntvgn


Also, here's a video of them in action. I love this video, I think it's hilarious. The look on his face while he sings is so ridiculous. What a bunch of goofs.


No comments:

Post a Comment